Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kabir, my guide

Most people are dumbfounded when asked what is their philosophy. Fortunately, I
am not. My philosophy is absolutely clear. I am eternally indebted to
great Sant Kabir whose one " Doha" most aptly encapsulates my
philosophy.
Sai Itna Deejiye Jaame Kutumb Samay
Mai Bhi Bhookha Naa Rahun Sadhu Naa
Bhookha Jaye
Its literal translation will be some thing like; O almighty, give me enough to
sustain my family, so that not only I have not to go hungry but also the
mendicant at my door is not turned away without enough alms.
This is just a loose translation. The true philosophical import of the Doha is too
profound. Of all the ancient philosopher-Sants, Kabir's is the most
arcane philosophy. And, most charming too. However, the bottom line is
--meaningful contentment, which, in other words is conquering lust.
Philosophy always confuses even the most learned people. They feel it is too esoteric
to learn, much less adopt in life. The confusion is mainly borne out of
linking philosophy to ancient scriptures, mainly religious. Philosophy has
essentially secular outlook, I feel.
I tend to look at philosophy in much simpler ways. Besides the Kabir's
immortal Doha, I am inclined to recite a famous Hindi song when quizzed
about my philosophy.
Mai Zindagi Ka Saath Nibhata Chala Gaya
Har Fiqr Ko Dhunve Mein Udata Chala Gaya
The entire song in its four stanzas is, in fact, a rich philosophical treatise.
Whenever ever green star Devanand comes on TV screen singing the song in his characteristic gay abandons, I am exhilarated.
Yet another thing that defines my philosophy is great French writer Moupassant's
famous story.
It is like this. A barefoot person walking on road is grumbling about want of a
pair of shoes as he sees another man walking ahead of him wearing brand
new footwear. The barefoot man meets a friend on the way and cribs about
lack of shoes. The friend asks the grumbler to turn around. He turns and
sees that the man behind him is without legs!
Whenever any undue desire overtakes me momentarily, I recall this story.
Of course, my family does not share my philosophy. The wife often cringes for my
inability to change this dilapidated F-type house in South TT Nagar that
is virtually abandoned by the PWD as irreparable: the 18-year-old son is
too starry-eyed to see virtues in my philosophy; the 14-year-old daughter is most embarrassed by my philosophy in the family.
In fact, no one in the family is happy with the way I look at my life. Out of
affection, they feel I deserve a " better" life. And better
means- more comfort, more luxury and greater social status.
My mother often weeps that her eldest son is without his own house whereas the other
two have nice ones -- one in Jabalpur and the other in Delhi. The
younger brothers lead an upper-middle-class life with all the luxuries
they have assembled. Their nice life style, of course, gladdens the mother
but, at the same time, accentuates her sorrow (pity?) for me.
I am really confounded. Don't know what to say to her. For, I don't
understand why should she be unhappy.
Let me recall one instance. In the last summer, I woke in the middle of the night
to muted sobs of my mother. She was sitting on the bed. I inquired the
reason for her weeping but she kept mum. On persistent inquiries, she told
me the reason and I was confused whether to laugh or cry.
The reason was funny for me and heart-rending for her.
It so happened that I decided to sleep on a mattress in the bedroom because she
occupied my bed. We had only one cooler and it was scorching summer. Every
one in the family had to adjust for cool air of the cooler.
The mother said amid sobs when she saw me asleep on the mattress, she became
miserable.
" How my son whose academic brilliance in school had ignited millions of dreams
in the family is coiled on a shoddy mattress and still looking content!"
It was hard to convince the mother of my philosophy in the night.
Instead, I assured her to buy a new cooler, which I did the next morning.

More about philosophy in next blogs.

6 comments:

  1. I like your writings but why text is not in continuation, half-line after every full line. Do something write more philosophy.

    Sunit Garg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your smear campaign on; it is not good to talk on such issues…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bade Bhaiyya
    It seems you have recently picked up an interest in blogging. But you should also respect other people's time. Since you have mentioned that you are also a journalist, don't think that this blogspace is your newspaper — whatever you feel like and how much you want to write you will go on writing.
    Frankly speaking, no one is interested in reading such a looooooooooooonnnngg post. Are you suffering from verbal diarrhoea? It seems that you are unable to express yourself both in your office and at your home. For God's sake, please spare the readers in blogosphere from such long posts.
    Even small posts can be interesting and readable, and can convey the same thought in a much better manner.
    Waiting for your next post — short and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A guide to newcomers in journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear bade Bhaiya,

    please dont stop writing long posts.
    I like them very much. Dont listen to anyone and keep on writing. I dont know why People are so sick? I learn a lot from your posts. I like the language and i pick up many new words from each post.

    Priyanka

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I like this post! God bless you!!! this is a human being should learn about life...

    ReplyDelete