Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Joy of losing

I can’t recall winning a single bet I had with friends at the Indian Coffee House all these years. For, I had not betted to win in the first place. If at all I won any, the victory was despite my wish to lose. Before you wonder if I am a big fool or flush with ill-gotten Crores, let me explain why I enjoy losing bets.
The contentment on the faces of stakeholders (friends) while ordering some thing to eat at the ICH from the won bet enthralls me. Every one believes the money belongs to either none or all. The equitable sense of belonging to the bet engenders an enchanting cacophony when stakeholders dispute over what to order. The added bonhomie lasts till at least the ordered snacks are served and eaten.
Alas, all this is under jeopardy ICH Mehfil is all but deserted.
I guess Rashid Kidwai, my fellow ICH sitter, shares my idea. He too is fond of losing – at times winning by default- bets. The won money is meant to be spent then and there only.
Some might say buying happiness thus is also selfishness. I agree. Maybe, I secretly seek to derive a vicarious pleasure of a host in losing bets. This is plausible because I don’t socialize.
I have never celebrated my children’s birthday or my marriage anniversary at home. Neither my monotonous career or less-than-ordinary horoscope has occasioned any great moments to throw parties. Power parties where ministers, IAS officers and ‘Who’s Who’ types are invited and keenly awaited are anathema to me. Some friends in the media, of course, use such occasions to gain access to VIPs.
Friends, who are otherwise great friends, don’t seem to think it fit to visit my home just for visit. I guess not-so-swanky home with down market drawing- room has its own disadvantages. Nonetheless, I am happy this way.
This being the case, the host in me must be restive. And that probably explains joy of losing bets.
Admittedly, I haven’t lost fortunes in betting. Most bets were worth Rs 100 each. A couple of them were in four-figure too. We have mostly betted on cricket and elections.
In the last assembly election, I betted on Congress victory. I knew for sure I am going to lose. Having spent 29 years in journalism, could I have been so naïve not to have read writing on the wall ?
Once again I have betted with Rashid on Congress winning at least 15 seats in Lok Sabha election from MP. Am I winning?
One famous bet on the World Cup Football two years ago in which every one had an equal stake was won by a friend, who was not exactly an ICH regular. That big bet had a different fate than the other ones. We failed to make the ICH richer with that big money.

1 comment:

  1. I always liked you for your candid approach. I remember, once i asked you that why do you behave in such a modest way..then you just smiled. Now i know, You are vey humble. A nice post.

    ReplyDelete